Friday, July 1, 2011

Cheecago

So.. in keeping with the theme of me never being home I decided to fly up to Chicago last weekend and attend the bachelor party for one of my best friends/roommates from college, Tyler.  He is marrying a girl from college named Mallory in Ohio on July 9th, so be happy for them or something. That is my next destination in line with my strategy to reduce my power bill by never being home.

Tyler's lil brother and the best man in the wedding, Alex, was kind enough to host me for the weekend.  We did lots of fun things, and what things we did that really should not have been fun were made fun by the combination of our incredible intellect and striking lack of maturity.  Since I am bound by section 34D of the Bro Code not to openly discuss the bachelor party, I will tell you about the other fun stuff we did up in the frozen tundra.


One of the highlights of my weekend was definitely watching the Cubs stomp the Yankees at Wrigley field.  This is one of the highlights of the game, as ARod is about to strike out right when the Yanks need him most. Alex had an extra ticket so I convinced my boss to let me wake up and start working at 6am so that I could take off early and head to the game.  Definitely worth it.  The weather was perfect and Wrigley was an awesome experience.  I highly recommend the North Side Twist pretzel... just don't try to eat it alone.  I also got to meet Alex's little in BYX and his girlfriend.  Both cool people. I'm glad BYX is still recruiting the best and brightest Vandy has to offer!

The Whitmores have always been more than generous in hosting me on my trips to Chicago, so I try to chip in on the chores while I am bumming around the house.  Last weekend they happened to get some new furniture delivered for the beach house, so Alex and I remained strictly professional as we unpacked the boxes.


We did not begin work on our real masterpiece until all the other silly work was done.  Alex and I were quite proud of our creation, and I can personally attest that absolutely nothing was used in the construction of this magnificent tower except the boxes themselves and ancient Egyptian building techniques.  Tape is for losers and nails are not environmentally friendly or something.


After all of the hard work was done, we proceeded to knock down the boxes by throwing a volleyball at the tower repeatedly.  It was so solid that this technique barely got us half way.  The rest was disassembled safely using certified union labor and proper Chicago building permits.  It took 13 years.

So the one downside to staying with the Whitmore's is their ferocious attack dog, Biscuit.


Now I know what you are thinking... awww, isn't she adorable?  I could see how you would think that.  The wonderful youngest Whitmore, Olivia, nearly had me convinced that this animal was perfect in her weekly newsletters.  I can't keep up with many sports or whether or not Obama has decided Keynesian economics are stupid yet, but I always find time to read Livvy Weekly.

Anyway... enough with the pleasantries re: Biscuit.. I now reveal to the world the real Biscuit!


This attack left me in agony for hours and I still carry with me the psychological damage.

Anyway, the final thing I would like to discuss is the Baha'i temple randomly located in Wilmette, IL.  We drove by it and it is really cool looking.. but kind of strange.


In line with my laziness-induced ignorance, I had never heard of that religion before but apparently they have built some pretty spectacular temples all over the world.  Take a look for yourself: http://www.bahai.us/bahai-temple/bahai-temples-around-the-world/  I don't endorse their beliefs, but I do support their idea of building cool random stuff all over the world.

Oh yeh, the bachelor party was a ton of fun too.  Jon, Scott, Tyler and Myself won.  Winning.  That's all you get.  Stay tuned for NYC!

2 comments:

  1. I saw the Baha'i temple in Kampala, Uganda! I tried to attach a photo here but it won't let me. It wasn't nearly as ornate as the one in Wilmette, but pretty spectacular compared to the rest of the buildings surrounding it. An interesting religion indeed.
    -Mallory (that girl from Ohio)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog post. And we do apologize that our attack dog was in full force...next time you visit we will make sure we give her calming meds!
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete